Green Minestrone Soup
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth
3-4 red potatoes, cut in small pieces
1 1/2 cups macaroni noodles
1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces (I used frozen French String beans from Trader Joe's)
5 oz. greens like kale, spinach, etc.
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan for serving
optional add in: ham
1. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in saucepan or dutch oven. Add onion and celery and cook until translucent.
2. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for about one minute.
3. Add chicken broth, potatoes, and 3/4 tsp. salt. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Bring a separate pan of water to a boil and cook pasta for ten minutes.
5. Add greens, green beans, and white beans. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with parmesan cheese and, ideally, buttermilk biscuits.